Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Hague: Madurodam and meet the interns!

Today was quite busy! Well, after 11 anyway.

I woke up early due to jet lag, and was up and about at around 6:30. I went to the grocery store with Peter, and in the process learned several dutch words and how the bicycles work. After Jenni woke up, we decided we would go to the ICTY (International Tribunal for Yugoslavia, operated by the UN, which Peter works at) for lunch with the interns and then on to Madurodam and Centrum in the afternoon.

The ICTY was very high security (I had to give them my passport in exchange for my visitors pass) and I obviously didnt get to see much, but it was cool to be on the premises of such a famous and important institution. The interns were, of course, entertaining :).

After eating and chatting, Jen and I walked the approximate 1km to Madurodam, which is, for those who don't know, Holland in miniature. Here's the view from the tram stop:

We then went inside, and Jen played tour guide, reading from the booklet about each building we found interesting, and I took pictures. They'll all show up later in my Netherlands album. For now, have a photo of me recieving my 1 Euro souvenir from a clog factory truck and a self pic of Jen and I at Madurodam :)

Hooray! 

After Madurodam, we took a brief rest back at the apartment and then headed back out to the center of town to do some shopping. I got a new wallet that functions better for all the euro coins. It has some hedgehogs on it, and thus makes me smile. After that, we walked to one of the interns/ a friends apartment for dinner, wine and conversation. It was a very good evening. :)

Tomorrow early, Jen and I head to Paris for our 1 night stay. Probably no posts until Saturday evening. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment